I want you to meet my daughter, Miya. This is her at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida during her first holiday in 2016.
I remember the holiday vividly but not for the reasons you might be thinking.
One morning I remember making my wife, Lynne a cup of tea and placing it on the side table next to the sofa in the villa we were renting. This was a routine habit, but I had forgotten one thing.
My daughter had just learnt how to walk.
I had literally turned my back for one minute when I heard my daughter scream followed by a smashing sound.
I was horrifled to realise my daughter had accidentally knocked the hot tea off the table onto her vest.
Besides possible panicking, how would you have treated a burn to a toddler or baby?
Without thinking my training as a first aid instructor kicked in. I scooped her off the floor and ran to the nearest bathroom.
At this point my wife came running in to find Miya and myself under the cold shower. As I held her, Lynne removed her vest as quickly as possible.
We then spent 10 minutes under the shower shivering singing Disney songs to keep Miya occupied.
This story had a happy ending. Because of my quick reactions Miya had no burns.
But it could have been so much different.
The reason why I’m sharing this story with you is that NEW guidance has come out bringing first aid training in line with the protocols found in NHS hospitals.
Most burns should now be cooled under running water for a MINIMUM of 20 minutes. If the burn is larger than the palm of your child’s hand (whether it has blistered or not) I would always advise seeking medical advice.
Here are some quick things you can do to help your child:
1. Cover the affected area in clingfilm as this will help to keep moisture in the skin.
2. Leave anything that stuck to the skin where it is. Don’t try and peel it off!
3. Unless you have a burns kit in your first aid box, don’t apply any creams or ointments to the area (this includes butter Grandma!).
4. Loosen any clothing where possible.
If as a parent, grandparent or childminder this story has made you stop and think then don’t scream in panic.
Skills Shop can teach you life-saving skills to help your child in an emergency including how to treat burns.
To book onto a 1 day Emergency Paediatric First Aid course just click on the link below:
NB: If you suspect your child as a chemical burn caused by something like bleach then always read the back of the bottle first as this will tell you what to do as water might not be the best course of action.